News: Thinking of Christmas? have you considered gifting a society membership to a friend or relative? or both :-) October 02, 2014, 04:28:51 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. *

McKinlay Family
Pages: [1]
  Print  

McKinlay Family
nathankaa
Searchers

« on: December 01, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »

Hello,

I'm currently looking into our family tree and was looking for the family crest of the McKinlay Clan. My Great Great Grandmother was Mary McKinlay who was born in Glasgow around 1845 and married David Panckhurst. I know she had an older sister Rebecca and a younger brother Peter. Her father was Peter McKinlay born around 1809 in Glasgow. I know of three older siblings, a sister Margaret and two brothers, Robert and John.

I've looked on the internet for family crests and wasn't sure if the family would use a McKinlay crest or would the use the one for a larger clan that they would come under such as the Farquharson.

Any information that anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Nathan Kaa
Marton, New Zealand
ianhmcn
Keepers

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:46:10 PM »

A place to find the clan crest is
http://www.houseofnames.com/mckinlay-coat-of-arms

I do not think that a family living in Glasgow in the 1800s would really have used a clan crest. Yes they exist and if used it would have only been by those close to the clan chief. It is likely that the majority of people would not even know what their clan crest looked like.

Ian
nathankaa
Searchers

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:53:29 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just unsure as to how the clan system works. I'm Maori and we have sub tribes, but we also tend to say that we are from a larger all encompassing tribe.

I guess I'm trying to find anybody who may know our McKinlay family history and therefore give an idea as to whether they would use the Farquharson crest?

Thanks
ianhmcn
Keepers

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »

McKinlay is a sept of the Farquharson clan and thus could use their crest.
Have a look at the website  http://www.farquharson-clan.co.uk/

The clan system was almostly completely destroyed by the English after the failure 1745 Jacobite Rebellion and the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie at Culloden. The wearing of tartan was banned by law until 1782 and Scotland was controlled by a English Redcoat army who constructed many miles of roads to keep the  country under control. The various laws made it almost impossible for the system to continue.

Our present concept of Scottishness was created by Sir Walter Scott, when he was asked to stage manage the visit of the new king George IV to Edinburgh in 1821. In 3 weeks he organised an event which included providing a complete Tartan outfit for the king. Since tartan had been outlawed this required creating not only a tartan for the king but also tartans for the Highland chiefs. Some people consider that the whole Scottish Tartan History really dates from Scott's creations for the kings visit.

In addition at that time Scotland was changing from a mainly rural society, in which the clan system could thrive, to an industrial urban one where the old clan concepts no longer applied.
The clan system today in Scotland is more of a social scene where those interested get together for organised events rather than anything of the old "family" structure.

If you want to find more information put the key words into Google. It is amazing what you can find and how well informed you can appear.

I hope this helps.

Ian

Allan Colthart
Searchers

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:54:07 PM »

I find it a bit hard to blame the poor old English for everything that went wrong in the 18th Century.  There were probably more Scots in the army opposing the Jacobites at Culloden than supporting "Bonny Prince Charlie".  A fair number of the Jacobite army were only there because they had been forced out by their  "chiefs".  The clan system broke up mainly because these chiefs and lairds sold off the land they were supposed to be safeguarding for their people.  Scottish peerage was well represented among those clearing the tenants off the land.
As a Lowlander I have to admit that we also had a low opinion of the Highlanders largely based on well founded fear of them.
It's all to easy to search around for someone else to blame for the atrocities committed in the Highlands.  Remember that the British "redcoat " army  was disproportionately composed of Scotsmen.  Remember also that the "redcoats" who carried out the Glencoe atrocity were practically all Highland Soldiers carrying out the directions of a Scottish government.
It's unfortunately undeniable that most of the so-called Scottish tartan culture is a product of Sir Walter's imagination and I think he's a great writer, not read enough these days.  But that's as far as it goes.   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: